life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Days, Snow Days!

As I mentioned in my last post (a month ago? Seriously? Where does the time go?), I love my breaks. And that might just apply double to the surprise snow breaks. Like skipping a class in college, only better, because there's no guilt. Not that I skipped classes in college. Nope. But people told me how fun it was.

But snow days. God's gift.

And yes, we are today on day 4 of snow days.

I've got solo and ensemble contest in 2 weeks, and my kids are absolutely not prepared. And that's something of an understatement.

My husband's team has now missed two games, which they will have to make up sometime in the next two weeks before playoffs begin.

We've missed four days of school which I'm sure means we'll be in school past Memorial Day and will have to adjust our summer basketball stuff.

But the last few days have been all but perfect. Three days – right smack in the middle of basketball season – of absolutely uninterrupted time with my husband. Kinda like a second honeymoon. Ummm, well, except for the three kids hanging around here with us. But still…can I tell you how precious this time is?

I haven't taken the time to blog in a whole month. I've had thoughts, a few stories to tell, but not enough time to tell them. I've been juggling kids, cooking, work, pretending to clean, and then collapsing in bed by 9:00. I had been grabbing time right after school and again right after the kids go to bed to do my computer stuff (you know, Facebook and emails and reading my favorite blogs). I thought things were going as smoothly as could be expected in the midst of the season when one night my husband interrupted my reading with a question: what did he need to do to get as much of my attention as my computer did? Ouch. He worded it a little kinder than that, but still, ouch.

I thought we were doing okay. Thought that waiting until the kids went to bed to be online was the best thing. How did I not realize that he was feeling the lack of "us" time? I forget, because he loves his job so much, that it isn't quite all there is. And I forget, because I'm so ready to do "my thing" when he's around to help out and I suddenly have TIME to, that maybe he needs me just as much as the kids do.

So I was stopped in my tracks. And convicted. And over the next few days, found that my thoughts and readings kept taking me back to that conviction. And to my husband.

And then, as if it were affirmation of what I was trying to do, along comes the snow. And not just a little snow. Enough snow that no one around here went anywhere for three whole days. Well, except to Sonic. The roads have been too bad that until today he didn't even try to have any kind of practice.

We'll pay for it in the next few weeks. And probably again in May. But for a few precious days, life's just been all about me and him and our three crazy kids.  And that is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment