life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Sunday, February 6, 2011

No Greater Joy

Conversation this morning in church:

Song 1 begins

C: I know this song! It's on my radio! (Thank you K-Love!)

Song 2 begins

C: I know this song! From "Kitchen" Bible School! (Love that 4-year-old interpretation…and thank you Crocodile Rock…or Dock…or whatever it was at VBS last summer. We LOVED the music!)

Song 3 begins. She doesn't know this one, but she's apparently coloring and paying attention at the same time

C: Why does she raise her hand like that when she sings?

Me: (Hmmm….how to explain this to a four year old.) To show that she really means what she is saying as she sings.

C: Oh. Huh. (aaaand back to the coloring)



You know, we thought about not going to church this morning. There were a couple upset stomachs overnight, and several wake-ups – for us and for kids. And there was no kinder- or children's-church, which meant both the older kids would be in with us, needing to be entertained and kept quiet. Not to mention the snow still everywhere out there. But when we got up, it turned out that it was still above freezing, so no ice on the roads. And we were awake. And in the end, it was the right thing to do. So off we went.

You know what else, it's really easy to think my kids aren't paying attention. That when the service isn't geared toward them they won't get anything out of it. And maybe they didn't pick up a whole lot, but to watch my son sing along, and to see my daughter processing what she was hearing and seeing, and connecting it to her everyday life…well, that sorta wakes me up. They aren't babies any more, that they won't really be aware of what's going on or what day it is. Three minutes at night reading through C's "motional" book (devotional book. I will correct it someday.) might not be enough of an investment in their futures.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

If that's true, it's my job. If that's true, my priorities are pretty simple.

My priorities are simple…my job is not. Whew. This parenting thing gets tougher every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment