life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Saturday, February 12, 2011

MORE Snow Days

We've had like a million a whole lot of snow days this semester. Two weeks in a row of more days home than at school. In my imagination, I always plan to use those stuck-at-home days for cleaning and reorganizing. I mean, how perfect is it to be totally stuck at home, with no chance of visitors, to take the time to make a real mess and then clean it up. Because, you know, it's pretty tough to really clean without making a giant mess first.

So I thought of reorganizing kids rooms. Cleaning closets (especially mine). Tossing toys. Boxing up old baby clothes and moving outgrown ones into the right places.

So, what did I get done during the snow days? Naps, coffee, cooking, books, naps, blogging, more cooking, napping again.

Yeah, not so productive. And by the second round of storms, I was even less motivated!

Oh, wait, I did box up baby clothes and reorganized T2's clothing. She doesn't have much of a closet, so we keep trying new things to figure out what in the world is going to work for her stuff.

So I'll give myself credit for that much, at least. But mostly, I just completely enjoyed being lazy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In the midst of basketball season, we all sort of needed that.

But you know what happened today? Real life started knocking on my consciousness, and I got a little overwhelmed. The next few weeks are going to be killers…contest for me, quizzing for my son, 6 games in two weeks for my husband (including the first round of playoffs – ack!)…and my house is a wreck.

I knew it was bad when my husband and I went out on a date last night, and he wanted to come home and watch a movie in bed, and all I could think was that the house looked so bad that wasn't even appealing. I was afraid I would come home and feel the need to clean and not enjoy the date, and what a waste that would have been.

(I managed to get over that feeling and enjoyed my date just fine, thankyouverymuch! And how awesome – and unheard of – is a Friday night date during basketball season?!?)

So with real life re-entering next week, real work kicked in today. My husband had a make-up game tonight, so he wasn't around. My kids were total cranks this afternoon, so I decided not to wrestle with them at a game, so it was a night in for me. I started by clearing out T1's closet (scary) and pulling out baby books to be bumped down to one or the other of his sisters. Cleaned the rest of his room (with his "help"). Cleaned out the books in the living room. Cleaned the kitchen. Cleaned the hotspots in the dining room. Gave baths. Did 3 (and counting) loads of laundry.

Why was it that I didn't get any of that done during those days when I was laying around doing nothing???

Who knows.

I do know that when I get up in the morning, my house is going to feel so much better.

Ummm….if I can get up in the morning.

I'm feeling a little old at the moment.

Oh, but hey!  Maybe I managed to work off at least a tiny bit of that winter-storm-weight I picked up last week!

Happy Sunday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, did you get motivated looking at my messy house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no, actually, I got motivated looking at MY messy house! Being at yours when it's full of people makes it impossible to see any mess...just fun people. :-)

    ReplyDelete