life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Her Special Boy

My 4 year old is an expert phone-talker. You can find her at any point in the day, with a phone to her ear (or occasionally now, an earbud in, as if she's going "hands-free") talking away. She has the rhythm of the conversation down pat – with the pauses and the responses and the uh-huhs and everything.

You'd think she was a 13 year old girl, listening to her. Ugh.

She didn't get it from me. Although I will admit to being quite the phone talker when I was a 13 year old girl myself, I am the total opposite these days. In fact, I'm fairly sure that caller ID, and texting, was invented just for me. If I don't know the person calling, I'm not answering. (And – don't hate me – sometimes if I do know the person calling, I'm not answering. It depends on what I'm doing at the moment.) And if texting someone to ask a question is an option, I'll do that instead of calling.

All that to say that she hasn't exactly spent hours listening to me talk on the phone to be able to mimic me. Maybe she's heard Grandma some, but she does seem to have some natural talent.

Lately her conversations have taken a new turn:

Me: Who are you talking to?

C: My special boy.

Oh dear, she's already talking to boys??

Me: (deep breath) Really? So what is his name?

C: I don't know. I haven't met him yet. But I will one day, and he'll be my special boy.



Whew. She hasn't already picked him. But she knows he's out there. I'm seeing wonderful opportunities to discuss what kind of "special boy" she is looking for, and what things are important to her and us. We've already started praying for him, too. I'm loving it!

The 2 year old has picked up on the conversations, though. She has a special boy, too. But hers has a name already. He lives around the corner and shows up to play with her big brother regularly. He's even already asked her to marry him. I think she said no. We'd better get those conversations going with her SOON! Help!

1 comment:

  1. I found myself praying for Nicole's "special boy" tonight as I snuggled with her. Praying for your beautiful girls as well!

    ReplyDelete