life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Saturday, October 9, 2010

No Tears For Me

I had no idea when I posted yesterday from Granddad’s hospice room how very close Heaven was. How few breaths were left.

How blessedly happy he is right now.

When I got home last night, I went searching. Many years ago – maybe before I was born – Granddad wrote a poem. It’s been used in almost every family funeral I can remember my whole life through. Every time I’ve heard it or read it, I’ve gotten teary-eyed at the thought of knowing it was his words to us. The tears are a little ironic, considering his intent in writing it, but he had to know he was asking the impossible. We are, after all, his family, and a product of his own “gifted-ness!”

I found the poem, and read it several times last night and this morning. I’m sharing it, with permission.

No Tears For Me!

My time has come; my ship has sailed

Upon death’s troubled sea.

I say to those I’ve left behind,

“Please, please don’t weep for me.”

My life was full, as you all know,

For you have made it so.

But, you must face your lives ahead.

It’s time to let me go.

So, please don’t weep, nor grieve, nor mourn,

Nor hold sorrow to your breast.

For God, who led my whole life through,

Knew what, for me, was best.

So, turn the page and look ahead.

Greet life with open arms.

With trusting tread, move on ahead.

God’s love will guide and warm.

As you have watched me sail from view

And told yourselves, “He’s gone.”

An excited group on another shore

Says, “LOOK! HE’S COMING HOME!”

Wayne Murray

4 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. He was certainly a wise man. Praying you find comfort in knowing he's rejoicing in Heaven today. Hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful heritage he has left behind. Praying for you and your family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very touching and insightful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very touching and insightful...

    ReplyDelete