life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Friday, October 8, 2010

I Can Only Imagine

For Granddad’s 90th birthday last year, I spent some time going through a million photo albums and scrapbooks, pulling out and scanning pictures, then compiling them into a digital scrapbook/slideshow. It was time consuming. It was incredible.

I wished that we had taken the time to do it years before, when memories were still functioning and stories could have been told. Don’t you know there’s a story behind this picture?!?


It makes me want to be there, laughing at them playing.

Actually, I’d almost rather be anywhere than here. This is hard. Watching him struggle even just to bring a straw to his mouth…it’s just not my granddad. It’s just not fair.

I wonder, if we had even just a tiny glimpse of Heaven, would we have such a hard time letting go? We go to Michigan every summer for a giant family reunion, and T1 gets so excited when we’re on our way…countless rounds of “are we there yet?” It wasn’t that way the first year – he didn’t know what to expect, so there wasn’t yet that excitement. Now, as soon as we hit the drive in to the campground, he’s out of the van, racing off to do all things he remembers from last year. If we’d seen Heaven…if we knew even just a little of what was there…would we really mourn?

Could we find it easier to be excited at the thought of a loved one getting to go there? Even though it meant leaving us?

I can almost see it that way…just knowing they’ll be together again….really, that by itself is exciting, isn’t it? And that’s not even the best of it…


But oh, I wonder....if we had even just a glimpse of Heaven....would we be able to bear this world even just a second longer?

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your family, Marla! You are loved by many! Praying God will just surround you and your family during this difficult time. Let me know if we can do anything for you! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post Marla! Brought tears to my eyes. It makes me wonder too...

    ReplyDelete