life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Monday, October 25, 2010

Let There Be Peace On Earth (or at least in my living room)

I’m currently enjoying my favorite time of day. The after school rush is done. This involves post-nap temper tantrums from the girls – pretty much daily – because they woke up and Grandma isn’t here anymore. It’s a great ego boost for me, let me tell ya. Each and every day. Occasionally it involves a snack, too, usually as the bribe to stop crying. They need one, though, because it’s basketball season now, remember, and supper is late. So it's justified. Really.

So now those things are out of the way, and all three kids are in front of the tv. Some days that’s simply so I can know they’re not getting into trouble while I’m in the kitchen trying to get supper fixed. Today it’s “Martha Speaks.” And today, soup is already bubbling on the stove, and I’m here at my computer. So today is even better than usual, because I get to sit here with them, enjoying them enjoy the story. And learn about the word “ominous.”

I’ve heard all the warnings about too much tv, but I just love that my kids learn about those extra things that it doesn’t occur to me to try to teach! Several years ago, T1 was 3 or 4 years old and we had just gotten in the van and were driving out of the neighborhood. He was in the back with one of those “find it” toys.

By the way, if you have small children and haven’t gotten one of these, I strongly recommend it! They are awesome for trips, although there is the danger of whacking oneself in the head during the vigorous shaking motion that remixes everything in the tube and allows different objects to be found. Don’t ask how we know that. It was painful for one small child. And hilarious. But don’t tell them I’m still laughing about it!

Anyway, he’s looking through the tube, searching for the objects, and I hear his voice, “Mommy, I am engwossed. I am thinking of this and nothing else! Engwossed.” When I finally sorted through the small-child-pronunciation and discovered he was saying “engrossed,” I cracked up. And pulled out the cell phone to call and tell “daddy.” Thank you Pinky-Dinky-Doo for a lovely moment of mother-son time! And thank you childrens’ programming for providing me with a few moments of peace in my day!

This moment has been brought to you by the letter C and the number 3!

Ah, moment over – chaos begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment