life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby (Part 2)

Except she would loudly object to me calling her “baby” – already did this morning, in fact. “I’m NOT a baby! I’m 4!” Yes, but I miss that baby…..

Four years ago today, we were getting ready for the big rivalry football game on TV, cleaning house and planning the party. I was nesting. I knew we were going to keep a bassinet beside the bed for C, so I was trying to clear our magazines and papers and junk from the area beside the bed. I left my husband to clean up the living room/kitchen for the party…I picked the bedroom because it was closer to the bathroom. At nine months pregnant, I was in there a lot, and the less walking required to get there, the better.

We were fairly certain we were going to end up with a baby before the weekend was over. We were about 10 days before the due date, but there had been several signs that made me pretty sure we were close. I had stayed forever after school on Friday making sure everything was set and ready to go for my maternity leave, so I was determined that baby was coming before Monday. No way did I want to have to go teach another day after doing all that work!

I think we were hoping to get to watch the game at home…things didn’t seem to be moving along very fast, so my husband’s family was picking up a tray of wings and headed our way. Then all of a sudden, things didn’t seem right, and there was quite a bit of bleeding, and more than a little panicking, and we were racing to the hospital, hoping that nothing was seriously wrong, and that all would be well.

Well, the game didn’t come out so well, but the baby did! She wasn’t in as big a hurry as we thought, though, so we had plenty of time to watch the loss before we had to concentrate on labor.

When he came in to “meet” her, T1 was very concerned that the sister he had been counting on might not be a girl. She didn’t have any curls, and he was pretty sure that girls were supposed to have curly hair! Thank goodness the hair isn’t the determining factor, because we are so grateful to have our sweet girl.

Happy Birthday, C. You are greatly loved.

1 comment: