life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mr. Sandman

I miss sleeping through the night.

I used to get to do that.

Then I got pregnant, and right off the bat (all three times) I started having to get up two or three times at night to go to the bathroom. Then I got bigger, and back aches or leg cramps would wake me up. Of course, once I was awake, I’d get up and go to the bathroom. And then it would be all over – there’s no going back to sleep after that. I’d lay there and think of things to worry about. Or things that ought to be done. By the end of all three pregnancies, I was anxiously awaiting the day the baby was OUT, and I could get more sleep. (People laugh when I say that…I know new moms don’t get much sleep…it was still more than I was getting while pregnant!)

So, yeah, then there’s the new baby thing….up every few hours to feed the baby. And some of those feedings take for.ever. Oh, plus the trip to the bathroom. Each time. (Sensing a theme here?!?)

So now my kids sleep through the night. Mostly. But do I? NO! I still get to wake up every few hours and take myself to the bathroom. And – guaranteed – if I get out of bed, it’s gonna be a while before I’m back to sleep. I thought at one point right after child #3 finally started sleeping through the night that maybe I just needed to re-train my brain and body to sleep through the night. (Yeah, I know, probably wouldn’t hurt to cut back on liquids after supper, too.) So I took sleeping pills for a short stretch to attempt that “re-train.” It didn’t work. (Surprise, surprise) I am now apparently mommy-programmed to wake up periodically just to listen to the silence to make sure that all is well. And to worry about whether or not everyone is still breathing. Although I do usually resist the temptation to go to each room and check on them, thankyouverymuch!

I don’t suppose there’s any chance I’ll outgrow that, is there?

I miss sleeping through the night.

I used to get to do that.

I think.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to end by saying...that you won't be sleeping through the night for even longer because you were adding #4.

    ReplyDelete