life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Breathe

We had a preview yesterday of the “life of basketball season.” My husband didn’t get home until almost 6:30, and was only able to be home for about 20 minutes before he had to rush off for a meeting. We were able to eat together quickly before he left, which I’ll admit is better than most game days. Game days I’m lucky if he gets home by midnight. (And I count myself doubly lucky if he tells me that he managed to get in a single meal that entire day!) So this day was just a small reminder of what’s to come.

I really love my husband, and I am incredibly proud of what he does and how he does it. And over the years I’ve learned to really love basketball. I even get pretty excited about the first game (and many games after that).

I do NOT get excited about the beginning of “The Season.” There’s a big long stretch of late practices before the first game ever happens. Days when I don’t know for sure what time he will come home, but I do know that supper will need to be ready as soon as he walks in so we can get the kids fed before they have meltdowns. Days when I have to remember that now the kids need snacks after school, so they don’t meltdown before our late supper! And a few days where we have to just give up and eat without him.

Last year my new-school-year routine broke down completely at the beginning of The Season. It took me a while to figure out how to make things work again. I count it major progress that – for the most part – I no longer get really upset when the time I think my husband should be home isn’t the same as the time he actually finally makes it home!

I’m not complaining (well, not too much). I’m fully aware of how good I have it, and the blessings just keep coming. We have a great life, and a really good relationship as a family, even in the midst of it all. BUT…I will admit that counting down to the beginning of The Season is just a whole lot like counting down the last few (sad) days of summer. J

Take a deep breath….here we go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment