life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year


What, not the post you were expecting to see on the day-after-Halloween? Not to worry, a Halloween post is coming…the costume trauma is too funny not to share…but it will have to wait until I have time to deal with the pictures accompanying the trauma. (And yes, the word is “trauma,” not “drama.”)

Nope, today is about Christmas. I went grocery shopping on the way home from school today. Walked into the store and was blindsided by CHRISTMAS DISPLAYS!! Christmas? What? Already?

Oh, wait, we did just do Halloween, didn’t we. Which makes this…………ACK!!

So, after processing the realization that it truly is already November (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??), I decided to jump in wholeheartedly. The Christmas season really isn’t long enough anyway, and goes by so stinkin’ fast. Although lately, everything seems to go by so stinkin’ fast. (Except for my 2nd period class. Molasses.)

Once upon a time, my college roommate and I were the first on our floor (maybe in our dorm?) to start playing Christmas music. And we didn’t usually wait until November, to be honest! And we were very generous to share our taste in music with anyone who might walk past our door. Truthfully, in college, we HAD to start Christmas early. We were required to pack up all Christmas decorations before we left for Christmas break, which was usually the second week of December, so if you were going to put stuff out, you had to get it out plenty early so you’d have time to enjoy. We typically decorated around Homecoming weekend. Ummm, don’t get too excited…we didn’t have football, so Homecoming was the second weekend or so of November!

So going by that theory, it’s almost time to get the Christmas decorations out, right? I mean, college wasn’t TOO far in the past. (Oh, hush and let me have my little fantasy…it wasn’t that long ago in my memory.)

So, on this cold cool gray day, I have Christmas music playing on my computer and a giant pot of chili going on the stove. I seem to be incapable of making small batches of chili. Anyone want to come join me in my pre-Thanksgiving Christmas celebration?? You’re only required to enjoy my music and my chili. I’ll decorate the tree later.

2 comments:

  1. Hate to tell you, but MY 10 year reunion is this year...shall we not talk about how you're older than me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope....that would be mean. Besides, aren't we twins or something? :-)

    ReplyDelete