life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hey Daddy, There's a Dragon in the Driveway

This past week has been unbelievably busy, with evening activities (ie work) on more nights than we were home.  So I'm pathetically late with telling my Halloween story!  But better late than never...especially in this case!

Once upon a time, I bought an incredible child's Halloween costume.  It was during one of those after-Halloween sales, and I was just betting on the fact that T1 would eventually be able to fit into it.  It was just too cute to pass up!


When T1 was old enough to wear it, he loved it.  He wore it one year before it really fit right.  He wore it the next year when it fit just right.  (starts to sound like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, doesn't it?)



He even wore it the next year when the pants only went to his knees, and he could not be talked into being anything else.  It was still cute.

So I couldn't wait for C to get big enough to wear it...I just knew she would love it as much as T1 did.

Ummmm....

....yeah....


 .....not so much.


She was terrified...maybe...and she was mad...definitely....and promising her everyone would think she was adorable and would give her candy did NOT make anything better in her mind.  Taking these lovely pictures to show her how "cute" she was...well, that didn't work either.


She was not convinced.  And was not happy.
And aren't I a great mom??

Such a great mom, in fact, that 2 years later, I decided to put my youngest in that costume.  
  
I was sure she’d do better than C.  Well, sort of sure.  But just in case, I made sure my husband had the video camera out.   And sure enough….


….let the weeping and wailing commence.  She was of the same opinion as C.  And she kept trying to pull the hairy sleeves off of her arm.  (I wonder if they both felt like the dragon was eating them?)  Whatever the problem was, it went on and on….


(Check out the little bare toes!  Love it!)


And the oh-so-patient siblings with her...."is she ever going to stop?"
(Ummm, C, you didn't do any better!)

T1 was headed next door to a Halloween/birthday slumber party.  That’s one brave mom over there.  Five 2nd grade boys all night after trick-or-treating?  Whew.


After he left, the wailing increased, so I went with the best “comfort” out there.


Hey, a Sonic drink always makes me feel better!


That and the chance – finally! – to get to run around outside cheered her right up, 
and all was well in the world again.
Oh, yeah, that and the candy.

 Isn't Halloween great?

Wonder what we're going to do with that costume now?

Not sure I can give it up.


It was just so much fun.  
And gave us such great memories.....


 

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment