life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Thursday, November 11, 2010

God Bless The USA

I have always been hugely patriotic.

I love the Fourth of July, love the patriotic music, love the flag and the bunting and everything that goes along with it.

Growing up, it seemed like our family was often traveling on the Fourth of July, and we would switch from one classical station to another as we drove across the country, trying to catch all the great music. These days, we could just load up an iPod and not have to worry about finding the best stations, huh?

When my husband and I started thinking about having children, one of the first decisions I made was that the nursery would be decorated with Americana items. And the first purchase for that room (well before I got pregnant, actually) was a little bear cut from an Air Force blanket and decorated with an Air Force patch, in honor of my Granddad who was in the Air Force for most of his military career. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I don't know exactly what that patch is. But I still remember finding that bear and knowing I had to have it…and the weepiness that hit me when I did actually get it.  (Whether that was over the item itself or the thought of the baby I wanted so much, I'm not sure…probably both. Doesn't take much, you know!)
 
I've also been known to get teary-eyed over the Pledge of Allegiance. And invariably I cry over those medleys of the military anthems.

And in spite of all that, I can NOT imagine the sacrifice it takes to put yourself on the line for our country, our freedom. Nor can I comprehend the sacrifice of being the one left behind to hold your home together while your spouse goes to fight those battles. In an old photo album of my Grandmother's, I found a piece of paper with addresses for each of her brothers…all fighting in different areas. Granddad and each of his brothers also served during WWII. Against all odds, every one of those boys in both families came home. I know that isn't the case for many families – then or now. I am incredibly proud of my Granddad, his brothers, and his brothers-in-law. I am incredibly thankful for the sacrifices made – by each of them, and by every person who chooses that path. Words fail.





Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment