life with a coach, three kids, and a full time job....

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crazy Mondays, Vol. 3

There was the Monday my girl was sick and my boy broke his arm.

Then there was the Monday I was still sick and worn out. 

And then there was this Monday.  The worst Monday of the three so far. Easily.

Jury duty.  Ugh.

I was NOT gifted with a great deal of independence. I don't particularly enjoy driving, I hate driving in downtown areas, don't like paying for parking, or figuring out where to park.

Nor do I like doing things/going places by myself. Anything. At all. Yeah, I'm a wimp. I'm working on it. (Although not always by choice!)

So being summoned for jury duty was – and has always been – on the top of my list of things-I-never-want-to-do.

So guess who gets summoned for jury duty. Of course.

I survived, of course. And prayed my way through it, step by step.

I don't really understand why some things that are so exceedingly difficult for me to do are a breeze for someone else. Of course, I suppose there are things I breeze through without a thought that would make someone else want to crawl in a hole, too.

Even the stretch of time when we were sitting in the "jury assembly room" was stressful to me, because I wanted to just get it OVER WITH. I don't want to sit around and make small talk for an hour, I want to know whether or not I'm going to be stuck on a jury today, or if I have to come back later. And am I going to have to figure out where to go eat lunch, or will I get to go home? (I know, I know….I have a terrible attitude about it!)

After sitting for hours in a courtroom, listening to question after question about our personal lives and whether or not anything listed would have any impact on our ability to be a fair and impartial juror, I somehow managed to escape without having my name drawn for the jury. Which was something of a miracle, considering that of the 50 of us who started the day, only about 15 of us were left "uncalled."

You know how in elementary school, it's a nightmare to be the last one picked? Yeah, this was nothing like that!!

And the miracle on top of the miracle was that, as we left, we were informed that not only were we not chosen for that particular jury, we would not be needed in the "pool" for any future jury. We were just done.

Suddenly my day was a lot brighter. And I could breathe again. And my muscles relaxed. And I hiked back to my van and drove home.

By way of Target, where I picked up a new purse and a cute pair of shoes. Because stress like that needs therapy like that.

(On second thought, maybe I'm not completely opposed to shopping alone.)

So what do you suppose next Monday holds in store?

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I was called for jury duty a few years ago. I hated every bit of it! Unfortunately, I was selected and had to go through with it.

    Glad you were able to remedy some stress with a purse and shoes :).

    Praying this upcoming Monday is uneventful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that would be right up there on my HATE barometer! I'm glad you survived! And I love how you described yourself - that is exactly me. And that's why we're friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete